Skip to main content

Home Forums Leadership Wellstar Week Barriers to delivering a world-class experience

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Author
    Anonymous
    Inactive

What are the biggest barriers you face as you look to improve experiences for patients, consumers or team members? Think about barriers related to people, processes and infrastructure.

Anonymous
    Inactive

-Engaging frontline staff more consistently. Shared leadership is a process we are using to ensure that frontline staff are consistently available to provide insight, advice, and innovation.
    -Trust from leaders to staff. I feel we assess trust from staff to leader, but I feel there is a gap when assessing the opposite direction.
    -EMR: While I fully support the resources an EMR brings, I feel the current EPIC system is unwieldy, disconnected from POC, and changes too frequently leaving us open to gaps in care. I also feel it drives tasking behaviors instead of critical thinking behaviors on the front lines.
    -Current status of system committees, taskforces, and delegation of tasks. I think there is a ton of growth happening on a system level, so I am patient to wait for the shake out, but currently it is often hard to track who owns what pieces.
    -Lack of face to face. While I appreciate the flexibility TEAMS gives us, I feel the lack of face to face time is hurting us immensely. I myself have had to work twice as hard to focus and not try to multi-task just because a meeting is virtual. The lack of feedback often felt on calls can be discouraging.

Anonymous
    Inactive

Rounding on patients and staff has had the biggest impact on scores, be it GPTW or NRC. The biggest hurdle to this for me — time. My first year or so doing this, I just did it every morning, but the mornings would get full. I might not get to everyone. Then I tried to make it up, and sometimes it felt forced or too scripted. Now, I actually schedule the time on my calendar and block out other calls, meeting invites etc. for that time to be given specifically to my team, or the previous night’s patients (in the sleep center).

Anonymous
    Inactive

For me, I would say the biggest barrier is time. While I schedule time on my calendar with my teammates and my peers, it’s one of how many meetings?… There are often times when my “To Do” list is growing at a far faster pace than my “To Done” list. I think another barrier is training. While I appreciate LinkedIn Learning, there is specific education teammates in my division need that is not otherwise offered: specifically MS Excel. MS Excel training for all levels (not just beginner), including newest functionality, would be incredibly beneficial for my division over-all.

Anonymous
    Inactive

We’d benefit from more exposure to interdepartmental roadmaps framed within short-term and long-term patient experience, and how patient journey across the continuum of care affects loyalty. This would help us bring additional focus to our digital products and content development.

Anonymous
    Inactive

LinkedIn Learning DOES offer Excel! When you log in to LinkedIn Learning , do a search for Excel and see all the classes!! It includes all levels, and all of Microsoft products.

Anonymous
    Inactive

Thanks so much for sharing your thoughts folks. Shall save these as we advance work in this area.

Anonymous
    Inactive

Anonymous
    Inactive

Thank you, Ann. I agree there are extensive offerings on LinkedIn. I’ve even taken a few courses already.

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.