Skip to main content

Home Forums Leadership Wellstar Week Head Vs. Heart Assessment

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Author
    Anonymous
    Inactive

I came in at 42.

I will admit sometimes I won’t hold people to tasks if I feel the stress they are under. I am working to make sure I keep people accountable, even if I know they are stressed. I am working on making sure that my communications are clear and concise, so they can quickly ascertain my needs and accomplish what I have asked them.

Score 40–50 Heart Focused
    By being aware and taking action on others’ emotions, you create a work
    environment that feels safe, and safety translates into trust! People in this category
    are perceptive and see the value in recognizing and understanding emotions in
    others.
    Taking action tips
    Balance with work. While you understand
    emotional reactions, it’s important to keep
    others accountable for getting work done.
    Using empathy statements effectively enables
    people to feel heard and to move more
    quickly to practical actions.
    Spread the love. Look for opportunities to
    acknowledge both work well done and the
    effort that went into less successful results,
    regardless of your affinity for the person. To be
    meaningful, mention what the person did and
    how it had impact.

Anonymous
    Inactive

Well done, Jaime! It is important to include the heart and the head. Have you tried using what we call the “yes, AND?” Let’s say someone is stressed, put in effort, but didn’t complete the task you had requested. Instead of saying “I understand you are stressed, but you still need to get your task accomplished.” Instead, you can recognize the heart and the head by saying something like, “You have really put so much effort in during this stressful time, and I recognize that. And let’s not forget how important completing your task is to the rest of the team.”

Anonymous
    Inactive

I received a 41. I can agree that I need to acknowledge the work that goes into something and not just the outcome. Sometimes when an error is made or a mistake is made, the best way to learn from them is to take a step back and see the whole process. Processes that leave a lot of room for error can cause undue stress and feelings of uncertainty. When I first started out in management, I left my head lead me. I was focused on accountability and success of the practice. Over the years I have learned that emotions affect the workflow and outcomes. We need to make sure that our team understand that the outcome isn’t as important as the journey.

Anonymous
    Inactive

I scored a 44. I have a tendency to be understanding, but need to consistently loop back around and hold my team more accountable to task completion and goal achievements. I am working on this balance.

Anonymous
    Inactive

The yes, And approach is a great one for so many situations, great suggestion Ann.

I also liked the recommendation from the assessment about acknowledging the effort that went into even unsuccessful attempts. This is a great reminder that there is always an opportunity to provide positive feedback. Encouraging effort, not just outcome makes the next iteration and interaction that much better.

Anonymous
    Inactive

Thanks Ann for the tip. Sometimes it can be hard to transition from the “deliverables” to feelings/emotion.

Anonymous
    Inactive

47. I have a lot of different personalities in my group so it’s important to recognize this and work with them differently. Sometimes it’s a challenge during team meetings when part of my team is engaging and the others are quieter.

Anonymous
    Inactive

Ann you always have the best advice!

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.